What Are Tooth Extractions?
Tooth extraction is the removal of a tooth from its socket in the jawbone. Tooth extraction is performed for various reasons, such as severe decay, crowding, or impacted wisdom teeth. The healing process typically takes several days to a week, and aftercare is important to manage pain and swelling. Wisdom tooth extraction aftercare may require additional attention.
The cost of a tooth extraction can vary based on factors such as the location and complexity of the procedure and the need for additional treatments, such as a tooth replacement with an implant. The tooth extraction procedure typically involves local anesthesia to numb the area and minimize discomfort, followed by the removal of the tooth using tools such as forceps or elevators.
Reasons to Consider Tooth Extraction
There are various reasons to consider having a tooth extraction:
- Decay: When a tooth is severely decayed and can no longer be saved with a filling or crown, an extraction may be necessary to prevent the spread of infection.
- Crowding: When there is not enough space in the mouth for all of a person’s teeth, an extraction may be recommended to make room for orthodontic treatment or to improve bite and oral health.
- Impacted Wisdom Teeth: When wisdom teeth do not have enough room to emerge properly, they can become impacted, leading to pain, infection, and crowding of other teeth. In these cases, an extraction may be necessary.
- Gum Disease: Severe gum disease can lead to bone loss and looseness of teeth, making extractions necessary to improve oral health.
- Orthodontic Treatment: In some cases, orthodontic treatment may require the removal of certain teeth to create more space for repositioning other teeth.
- Trauma: If a tooth is fractured or damaged beyond repair due to injury or trauma, an extraction may be necessary to prevent further damage and promote healing.
The team at Reiser Dental is here to help you determine the best course of treatment for your specific needs and goals.
The Tooth Extraction Procedure
Tooth extractions are performed due to overcrowding, infection, injury, or decay. Preparation for the extraction procedure involves a thorough exam and x-rays.
Simple tooth extractions involve removing a visible tooth that is easily accessible, by numbing the area with local anesthesia and using forceps or elevators to loosen and remove the tooth.
Surgical extractions are necessary for teeth that are not easily accessible, such as impacted wisdom teeth or teeth that have broken at the gumline. During a surgical extraction, an incision is made in the gum to expose the tooth and surrounding bone. The dentist uses special tools to extract the tooth, and closes the incision with sutures. Surgical extractions require a longer recovery time and additional follow-up appointments for monitoring and care.
Tooth Extraction Recovery
Proper tooth extraction care is important for a smooth and successful recovery. Reiser Dental provides specific aftercare instructions, which may include biting down on a gauze pad for 30-45 minutes to control bleeding, avoiding rinsing or spitting for 24 hours, taking pain medication as prescribed, avoiding smoking or using a straw for 24 hours, avoiding solid foods and sticking to a soft food diet for the first few days, and rinsing with salt water several times a day to promote healing.
It is also important to keep the extraction site clean by brushing and flossing normally, but avoiding the extraction site for the first 24 hours. If there is excessive swelling, pain, or bleeding, it is important to contact our office right away. Following the aftercare instructions carefully can help ensure a quick and successful recovery from a tooth extraction.
Contact Reiser Dental Today
If you’re considering a tooth extraction, or if you’re experiencing symptoms that may require one, don’t wait. Contact Reiser Dental today to schedule a consultation with our experienced team. Our friendly and knowledgeable staff will help guide you through the process and answer any questions you may have to ensure a smooth and successful experience in Denver, CO.